At our recent awards night, there was a notable absentee – manager Duncan MacIntyre. Duncan was in attendance at the MOWI Shinty Awards in Fort William where he received the MOWI North Area Coach of the Year Award.
Duncan received many nominations, of which some are below:
“Duncan in his first year back got Lewis to within a point of winning the league. Lewis even beating winners Lochcarron 5-0 at home in Shawbost where this season they won every game. “
• “For leading Camanachd Leòdhais to its most successful season ever, cup runs ,and second place finish by a point! “
• “Incredible achievements and an unbelievable comeback from failure “
• “Lewis have had an amazing season and Duncan has done a great job since returning to the helm”
• “For taking the club from struggling at the bottom of Division 2 to challenging for the top spot in that Division. “
• “Unbelievable for them to have achieved what they have”
• “Led them to near success in N2 with a record-breaking run.”
• “Ran Lochcarron to the final day – incredible achievement considering the challenges they have as a club.”
It was a fine recognition for the whole club after an incredible season, but a particular honour for Duncan in his second spell in charge of the Dubh is Gorm. A legend on the park for the club, sadly Duncan’s first spell in charge was a difficult transitional period for the team both on and off the park and results were reflective of that, but this time round the Glengarry native has been instrumental in driving the club to previously unimagined heights. Even more impressive was that Duncan’s award was in competition with all area coaches in both North One and North Two.
Well done Gaffer, we’re proud of you.